This morning I’m finishing up a proposal for Kindred, requested by an agent I met back in April, at Mount Hermon.

Every agent requests the material included in a proposal in a slightly different form. This agent’s guidelines, available on his website, are quite detailed and asked some really good questions to help distill a story down to its essence. I don’t find this process easy, but it’s certainly valuable and I think something I’ll improve upon with practice.

He asked for the first 50 pages. It’s been a couple of months since I last looked at them, so I decided to edit through them before printing them out. Glad I did. I trimmed out another 700 words from the section (the first 6 chapters), and shortened the ms by two pages. Makes me think another full blown edit is in order, but… I’ll wait on that. I could keep trimming line by line and probably make a fairly respectable dent in the word count, but I still feel there are some macro edits that could be done, should be done first. I don’t have the eyes to see just what those are at present, which is why I set Kindred aside to work on Willa. For now. Whenever I have a plan of attack, I’ll delve back into K.

Now I must go think about things like Promo Sentences, Sales Handles, Back Cover Copy and my Purpose For Writing This Novel.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This